Thursday, February 3, 2011

One down, a million to go!

The JET office decided to forego the opportunity to interview me for their program this year. I shed a couple tears out of disappointment, stood up purposefully and declared "Well then, if they think I'm not a good fit for them, perhaps I am not! The company that I will work for is out there somewhere!", and I moved on.

I have been researching a lot of JET alternatives, and there are plenty of exciting ones in Japan. A couple really important perks of JET that I no longer have access to (in 2011 anyway)are:
1) Interview in Denver
2) Free round-trip flight to Japan
3) 300,000 yen/month salary

That's why JET is so competitive, they SET YOU UP! But another company that I think sounds fantastic is called Kohgakusha. They pay 260,000~280,000 yen/month, they subsidize part of your apartment (which, I might add, is generally twice as big as the JET apartments) and they place ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) in the metro areas! We're talking Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka!! JET is mostly rural, but not as a rule. I think I would love a rural setting, but I'm not about to say no to urban!! Especially Japanese urban!

I need an interview. I'm alright on paper, but this thespian would blow an interview committee away! Give me a chance, people!

Much love, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment