Thursday, January 12, 2012

Food and Temples

Though I'm not the easiest person to persuade out of doors in the Winter, I do manage to go for runs in Arashiyama sometimes. Whenever I do, I am so grateful for it because I discover something new about the amazing area in which I live. Arashiyama is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Today I revisited Daikakuji Temple, which Paul and I discovered last week. This little treasure is going to be, I can tell, a very special place for me. Quite a ways off the beaten path, it has on its ground a lake populated with beautiful Koi and Banded Japanese Ducks. It has very few people touring it at any given time (okay, the two times I've been there) and that makes the whole experience truly serene. Arashiyama's main temple, Tenryuji, has beautiful scenery surrounding it as well as architecture, yet its popularity does cause a bit of a problem when it comes to enjoying the atmosphere. That is what makes Daikakuji truly valuable, as well as distant enough to constitute a decent run.

Having determined with little doubt that I am indeed sensitive to soy products, I have had the rather difficult task of learning how to cook without soy sauce or tofu. Soy sauce is the biggest obstacle for me, especially when eating out. It certainly does not help that I am crazy for the stuff and used to use it on many, many dishes. In addition to discovering some existing recipes I enjoy I have also created a few that are equally delicious. In any regular super market here in Kyoto - I have found I am able to easily make:

Japanese Curry (using a prepared spice which can be found in the spice section)
Spaghetti and meat sauce
Mexican fajita vegetables, lime rice, and guacamole (unfortunately without jalapenos)
Moo goo gai pan
Fried rice (without soy sauce it's a little less satisfying, but it is still delicious)

I know I will come up with plenty more dishes, but I think I have done well for under a month and a half of living here.

Pictures of the scenery and maybe even some food will be coming up in a later post!

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are out and about..are you still in training for the job, or have you started already? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even started training! I start as soon as I get my visa, which will hopefully come by February 1st! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I have a query. I am looking to come to Osaka to teach (where my girlfriend lives). Is it right that you can find work with temporary visitor status? Are there companies that will sponsor you without you having to leave Japan? Is that what you did?

    Congratulations on finding work there anyway.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tony,

      Are you coming to Osaka City or prefecture? At any rate, this region (I live in Kyoto so quite near Osaka) is really great for searching for a job. With a good resume and cover letter, you should be able to find a job here easily.

      I got my job on my visitor status and only had to wait for the Visa office in Japan to process a working Visa before I began. I didn't have to leave Japan to do it. I think Japan changed the law entirely so no company should require you to leave.

      Best of luck!!

      Sarah

      Delete
    2. Hi Sarah,

      I'm not sure if you still check this blog but I just found it. I'm in the same situation as you are. I'm currently in the US and am moving to Kyoto because of my BF's placement through JET. What was the process like from visitor visa to working visa without leaving the country? Do you know if it's still like that right now?

      Thank in advance@

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Sarah. Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy working on my master's dissertation and was away from the computer where I bookmarked your website.

    I'll be outside the Osaka city, I think its about half an hour or more away on the train. I'm pretty excited about it all.

    By the way, did you book a return flight and just get it refunded? I only have a one way ticket but I remember I had a problem with that when I went to Korea and had to buy a return at the airport (in London).

    Anyway cheers for your words.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete